What the heck is network socket ?

Its 10:55 am , I am in office and have just received work to explore android network socket .. We are exploring if two applications on android can communicate to each other through means of socket ...

Will update after I have done the research ...

Basically what I have to do is start a server on some port (e.g port 13 ) and let the client connect to that port and then pass some commands to each other ... Now what am I thinking is that , do I have to give some server IP to client to connect to or not ... I am feeling I might have to give that too ... (Doing more research ... :) )

12:11pm ... I have just learned through my PM Rashid that I was in the wrong direction in my research ... the latest direction is something like that

We have android A, and Android B , both of them have Application A that are communicating through Bluetooth ...

Android A (Running Application A) -------- Bluetooth ----> Android B (Running Application A)


Now there is a Flash application that wants to communicate / or pass commands to Android B , but in order to do that I now have to find some comm mechanism between flash app and app A on Android A ...

Now the pic I am guessing something should look like this

Flash App ----Local Socket communication (IP 127.0.0.1 Port 2000)---> Android A (Running Application A) -------- Bluetooth ----> Android B (Running Application A)


I just hate when I have to change my research again and again ... its just demotivating ...

I am now thinking its not possible communicating directly with the Flash Application. Reason is that since I have no control over Flash app I cannot bind it to my application . How would a flash app know that my application wants to communicate with it ... I have to ask about it to my PM.
Since he is not on his desk I am going to try droid charts ... By the way, i have table tennis match today with Danish and Mohi .

4:35pm,
hmm I have made a remote service exposed through my application , now all I have to do is ask somehow to flash application to bind to my service ...

5:08pm, now the PM has asked me to drop this research and find somehow to do this using HTML + CSS and not flash ... Shucks ... all day wasted doing some useless research ... :(


Table Tennis match update : Me and Sheeraz have won 2 matches , and have to win one more to win the series .

Oh yah one more thing before I go home , today was the last day of Asma Baji at Folio3 .. Bye bye asma baji ... :)

Comments