Computer Vision Lab ~ LUMS

I have been assigned a room for my research work in School of Science and Engineering (SSE) Building. The existing Computer Vision lab was full so me and my fellow members were assigned a room 120-9 in the building which is on the left of the Computer Vision lab. We can utilize both rooms as we see fit. Each Monday we get together with Dr. Murtaza Taj under which we are researching and discuss the research papers we have read and take on new assignments for the next week. This week I've been assigned to read a paper and prepare a powerpoint presentation on "Object Tracking - A Survey" by Alper Yilmaz, Omar Javed and Mubarak Shah.

I prefer to do research work in the evening and in the night as there are very few people in the labs and everything is quiet, calm necessary to do research. Dr. Murtaza is available 24/7 as he is staying at the faculty hostels so I can contact him if I need assistance. Apart from him there are good senior MS and PHD students in the lab which can be contacted for assistance as well.

I feel very lucky (at heart I still feel I don't deserve this research assistantship this soon) to have gotten this Research Assistant position very early in my first 2 weeks of my stay here. I am trying my best to learn as quickly as possible. There are two part time research fellows with me participating in research with Dr. Murtaza. I hope to do my Master's Thesis with him in the next two semesters. The ultimate goal of our research is to do 3D pose detection in video.

The Computer Lab is one of the leading labs here at LUMS and publishes far more A-class research papers in prestigious conferences and journals than any other research lab. The Professors are very careful in selecting students for part-time research/internship or for full time job/research positions or for BS senior year projects.

The details about the recent on going projects and research is available at : http://cvlab.lums.edu.pk/

Comments