Google Code Jam 2014

Update (13th April, 2014) 11:00 AM : I saw my final results today. The large input file of problem 2 and 3 were rejected, while the large input file of problem 4 was accepted. I lost 35 points because of that, and my final score is 55 :(. I do qualify for the next round though. My overall rank dropped to 7920/25462, while Pakistan rank dropped to 42/265. Below is the screenshot now. Hoping to do well in the next round as well which is on 26 April 2014.




12 April, 2014...

6:00 AM: Just woke up and received an email from from Google Code Jam that the contest has been started. Will start competing after breakfast.. 
  
6:42 AM: Working on the first problem "Magic Trick". It has only one small input file and is worth 6 points. According to the contest analysis, 88% people who attempted this question got it right. 

7:31 AM: Just submitted solution file and source code of the "Magic Trick" problem. The response of the online judge is "Correct". Got 6 points :). Moving on to the next one i.e. "CookieClickerAlpha" .

8:15 AM: Taking a break and going to talk to my parents on Skype. Garmi bahut hai, plus light bhe ja rehi hai aaj lahore main. LUMS ke generator baar baar ON ho rahey hain. Internet bhe slow hogaya hai .. 
  
11:25 AM: Finally submitted the solution and source of the "CookieClickerAlpha" Problem from Lab 1 as the hostel internet is not working. The response to the small input file is "Correct", while the large input file is submitted but will be judged after the contest. 2 in 2 :) .. On a roll here  ... Brrrr... *drum roll* ...Total points 25.

11:45 AM: Will start working on problem 3 (Minesweeper Master) after some time.

1:25 PM: Starting work on the 3rd problem. The stats say that only 27% people got this problem right. Hmm .. maybe I should go on the 4th problem first .. 
  
1:55 PM: Nah, let's start with this one. There is a website http://ahmed-aly.com/CodeJamTools , that is keeping a track of contestants by Country. From Pakistan, only 60 people are participating and my rank is 12. Hopefully more people will join as the day goes.

3:27 PM: I attempted the question but have been judged "Incorrect". Hmm, the debugging of the solution might take a while. 

4:42 PM: Hmm, that's bad .. I attempted it again, and it has been judged "Incorrect" again. I'll have to manually check all cases I think. 

5:12 PM: Ok, found one error in a test case. Let me solve it and attempt this question again ..  

5:42 PM: Now that's really disappointing. Yups, it has been judged "Incorrect" again. Bad Luck .. Probably if I can't do this question by 8:00 PM, I'll move on to the next one.

6:32 PM: Ah, I found one more test case, where my program fails. I have to add one second check in reverse order as well. Let me add this case as well and try once more.
  
6:51 PM: Fourth time .. fourth time :D LOL nahi horeha mujh se yeh question .. Again it has been judged "Incorrect" . Comparing the last two solution files, maybe I have done something wrong. 

7:21 PM:  Finally found the error. Submitted it and the online judge has accepted the small input file :P. The long input file will be judged after the contest. Time to take a break now... Total points 60, and out of 142 participants from Pakistan, my rank is 2 .. :P . Overall rank 1103 out of 15000+ participants. LOL!!!

9:51 PM: Starting work on the last problem "Deceitful War". It looks easy but I have to figure out how to traverse two arraylists simultaneously. Hmm .. Stats say 92% people who attempted this have got it right. Feeling a bit sleepy too , zZz..  

11:21 PM: Jaldi jaldi ke chakkar main, first attempt galat hogayi hai :x .. Fixing errors now. 

1:12 AM: Finally submitted, and the small input file has been judged "correct". My total points are now 90, and 5th position out of 250+ participants from Pakistan, Overall rank : 1480/23992 . Below is the screenshot, my nick is "jhankar".



If my large input files are judged correctly, I should gain some places, maybe can come under 1000 in overall rank. Otherwise if not, I would lose many places.. Hoping for the best. Goodnight :) .
 

Comments